Another book I used last week to incorporate CORE vocabulary was the story "Big Pumpkin" by Erica Silverman. Fortunately I was able to find MANY activities online to go with this book.
For this story, we focused on the CORE words "ON" and "OFF". I started by practicing ON and OFF using small objects and large blocks. I also made large picture cards to depict the "symbol" to associate with each word.
- Vocabulary cards HERE
- Literacy activities, coloring sheets, sequence cards, & craft activities HERE
- Poem, Story Re-tell, and Book report HERE
- Boardmaker Story board and picture symbols HERE
The last story that I have used this month to work on CORE vocabulary is "The Little Old Lady Who Wasn't Afraid of Anything" by Linda Williams.
- Literacy, Art, and Circle Time activities HERE
- Story board and picture symbols HERE
- Boardmaker Communication Board HERE
Thank you Gail Van Tatenhove for your amazing work in this area!